We sports fans have been on a “Premium Sports High” of late. Wimbledon, Olympic Trials, and The Tour de France. It doesn’t get more intense than this. The Olympic trails have been riveting for my daughters. Track and field, swimming, and gymnastics have kept their attention. Paige, my oldest, is already picking her favorites and keeping me posted on everyone’s progress. Last Saturday, I spent my entire day taping my most recent show. The minute I arrived home Sunday morning, Paige informed me Serena Williams won Wimbledon. Finally, my daughters are gaining a true appreciation of sports on their own accord. Even though we typically watch most sporting events together, I have been at the lap top a lot lately and they are watching without me controlling the remote. This is not to say I want my kids in front of the television all summer, but I do want them to gain memories of their favorite athletes as I did when I was a child. The Olympics and Wimbledon are two of my fondest memories. Who isn’t inspired by this level of competition? Should athletes be considered role models? I am not sure. But if these men and women motivate my children to get outside and try a new sport or be more active, then their admiration is perfectly fine with me.
As we look to the Opening Ceremonies, I will be providing you with some awesome recipes and tips for you Olympic parties….today I am cheating. As I said, this past Saturday I taped a show. Because I always do a trial of all recipes before I tape, this meal was made a few weeks ago for my kids. This is an wonderful party food!!!!
Meatball Sliders on a Homemade Garlic Knot
Even though I was working on the sliders for the show, I had to add a side. That particular evening I paired my sliders with what I would call an “Italian Rice”….made with fresh basil, oregano, and garlic
1 lb ground beef
1 lb spicy Italian sausage
1 cup chopped red onion
4 cloves of mince garlic
olive oil for sauteing
1 cup Italian bread crumbs
3/4 Parmesan cheese
vegetable oil for frying
marinara sauce 2 large jars of your favorite
shredded mozzarella cheese
1. Saute onions and garlic in olive oil until tender allow to cool
2. In large mixing bowl, by hand mix ground beef and sausage. Add in onion garlic mixture, egg, Parmesan cheese, and bread crumbs.
3. Use a medium sized ice cream scoop to evenly portion your meatballs. Roll in your hands to make sure the meat is compact.
4. In a large skillet, heat oil to 350 degrees. Fry meatballs for about 1 to 2 minutes. After frying, place on paper towel lined plate and sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
5. In large sauce pan, heat marinara sauce. After meatballs are fried and drained on paper towel, place meatballs in marinara sauce for 15-20 minutes.
6. When making sandwiches, the shredded mozzarella will be added
2 contains of thin crust pizza dough from the grocery store (please get thin crust)
1/2 cup melted butter
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley
2 tsp garlic salt
1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees
2. Cut rolls of pizza dough into six sections. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a baking sheet.
3. In a small bowl, mix melted butter, oregano, basil, parsley, and garlic salt.
4. Brush each ball with butter mixture. Bake at 350 for 18-20. Until golden brown.
1. Add shredded mozzarella cheese to meatballs on a baking sheet and broil until cheese is melted.
2. Cut garlic knot like a roll and through in the meatball……delicious!!!
Remember………Who Do You Want In Your Kitchen On Game Day?